Wednesday, August 28, 2013

On not going back to school..

So this is the first year since I was 4 years old that I have not geared up and gone back to school. That's 21 "first days of school," people! 


That's me up front with the penguin pinned on my green plaid dress on my first day of Kindergarten, 1993.

I went straight from high school to college, and straight from college to law school. I'm not really sure how I feel about being done with school For.Evvv.Verrr (name the movie, get 100 life points), but it's definitely weird. I mean, I miss buying highlighters and ordering textbooks and going back-to-school shopping, but I definitely won't miss homework and getting cold-called on in classes in law school.  



I feel like I missed summer break this year, because I spent most of the summer studying 10+ hours per day for the bar exam. Now I am finally getting to enjoy summer and it is winding down and most everybody is back at school already. I am trying to enjoy my time before I am employed, since I will never get a summer break like this again. It is truly hard to just relax. I have never had literally NOTHING to do. There has always been something looming, whether it be homework or an internship or Moot Court stuff or ordering textbooks or writing briefs. I have always done super well in school and it has always been a major part of my life. How will I define myself when there are no grades to determine how I am measuring up in life? I guess this is something I will figure out as a move forward in life and into a career, and distance myself from the life of constant education to which I have been accustomed. This video about grad school is pretty hilarious (and NSFW!), you should watch it!

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Hm...The Sandlot? Is that right? Ha ha.

    Not going back to school is extremely difficult to comprehend! I've been out a year now and I still feel like I'm forgetting to do homework or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say get yourself some new school supplies and clothes anyway! You might not be going back to school but no one says you can't back to school shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is such a weird transition. It's been 4 years (since college for me) and I still feel odd that I'm not going back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh I am going through the same thing (minus the Law School stint), everyone is going back to school now and I am so sad I am not!!

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I don't know what I am going to do next year when this is me :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year was my first year not going back to school--it's such a strange feeling! I do miss it!

    The Random Writings of Rachel

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I always respond, promise! Just make sure you're not a no-reply blogger :-)