Monday, February 24, 2014

Awkward B&Bers

So two years ago, Brian and I decided it would be fun to go away for a weekend around Valentine's Day. Now, we are not cheesy romantic people at all, but at my Mom's suggestion, we decided to try out a Bed & Breakfast. My parents go to a B&B for their anniversary every year, but apparently what they go to is more of an Inn in a cute little town, where they can walk around to all the shops during the day and then come back at night to sleep. Well, being a avid Gilmore Girls fan, I should have known better than to go to a B&B. I mean, Lorelai and Rory make fun of them all the time! And there's even a whole episode about an awful, flowery, no-free-time B&B that they are forced to stay at after they go on a road trip with no directions (please tell me you've seen this episode?!).

I wrote something similar in the guestbook in our room to pay homage to the good old GG

Anyways, where was I? Yes, we should have known better but we thought it'd be fun. Mistake # 1- picking a B&B in the middle of nowhere. Ours was literally on a farm, animals included. This guy walked right up to us as we walked out of our room.


Anywhere we wanted to go was at least 20 minutes away, and it was nearly impossible to find somewhere good to eat dinner. We ended up finding some weird restaurant to eat our Valentine's meal at.. I think I got mozzarella sticks? Then we went to the movies, and back to the B&B. There was seriously NOTHING TO DO. Everything in the area was closed, not that there was much to do anyways.

Mistake # 2- Picking a place that made you have your breakfast at EIGHT A.M. Yea, and if you weren't up and in the breakfast room by like 5 minutes til, they knocked on your door to remind you. Ugh and going right along with that, Mistake # 3- picking a place that made you eat at an elementary school cafeteria-style table, right next to other people with their PJs and morning breath. Nothing like eating breakfast (which, by the way, was one size fits all-- there was no menu, they didn't let you choose!) with people you don't know while you can see their underwear. That's a good time in my book. Except nobody saw our PJs because we are civilized people who come to breakfast in our clothes.


Anyways after breakfast we hightailed it out of there.. after I took Brian's picture with this angry mini horse. So random. I'm not going to say which B&B we went to because it was nice for a B&B I think. Maybe this is just what B&Bs are like and some people must like them but it was just not for us! Never again! The only word I can think of to describe our entire experience is awkward. Have you ever been to a B&B? Was your experience as awkward as ours?

This wasn't from that weekend but my hand was so awkward in this pic that I felt it was only appropriate to include it

post signature

20 comments:

  1. Oh man this does not sound like fun! And breakfast at 8am! What kind of vacation is that. At least you got a funny story out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! That's how try to look at bad experiences now haha

      Delete
  2. This happened to us too! We had heard they were so great (Gilmore notwithstanding) so we went to one for our first anniversary. The owners were perfectly nice but it was just awkward! There was a guest room RIGHT next to ours and the owners lived in the other side of the house. Breakfast was just served and since I don't eat eggs, I didn't care for it, and you are so right - nothing to do! We watched Million Dollar Baby. That was realllll romantic, let me tell you. I also have awful pics. Let's just say there were creepy dolls involved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am A HUGE GG fan! And because of that, I don't know that I'd ever go to a B&B. I like my privacy and freedom. I can't believe the breakfast was one size fits all!!! And the whole "sit next to your neighbor in your pjs" thing? No. Just no thanks. Although I do like a good mini horse :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahaha thanks for the the heads up on B&B's! Y'all look adorable! I used to watch Gilmore Girls every stinking day when I got home from school! Throw back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha!! Hilarious. I always think that B&Bs sound like a good idea...but we have yet to stay at one. And now I'm thinking maybe we won't! Or at least make sure we don't have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have defiantly seen that episode. Dying to know where you went! Maybe try and find one in a cute town? That doesn't make you wake up at 8am, ugh that is miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha B&B's are a real toss up. We stayed in one to visit my brother at college once and it was great. No forced breakfast time and the owners/other guests were super nice. My parents also swear by the B&B on Ocracoke Island. Of course, both of those are in towns with lots to do so I'm sure that makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I am so excited about your Gilmore reference....I seriously miss that show the Grandmother on the show....I could listen to her for hours. Yeah 8am breakfast would not fly with me....all those angry mini animals...that picture trying to put his arm around the mini pony...hilarious. Thank you for this post totally lightened up my Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to a B&B they sound romantic and nice but the thought of staying in someone else's house is a little weird to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've never been to a B&B... i always think of that one from Bounty Hunter and think that it would be cute to go to! sadly I googled it and I don't think it exists and 2nd, i dont know that they would be as cute as that!! your hand is awkward in that photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that episode! Please tell me you told someone that you published children's books for a career!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. bahaha man I wish I would have!! "The Horse Who Wanted to Bark" haha

      Delete
  12. I went to a B&B by a small beach town and it totally had floral walls and crazy quilts and lace bed sheets.

    The knocking on your door for breakfast is super not cool. But the mini horse might be the most awesome thing! I would love to stay someplace with mini animals! (Unless it was a rooster than crowed in the morning.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow! I have never been to a B&B, but I always imagine them to be awkward. I would maybe think one in a busier town where there are things to do might be better....but I still think it is creepy to have breakfast with strangers in their PJ's. The Gilmore Girls! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahah @ awkward hand! I've always thought these would be cool but at the same time I love the anonymity of hotels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like my dad always says "Memories. They aren't always good ones but they're all memories"

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom and I were just talking about B&Bs. She thinks it'd be great to go to one, I think it'd be very unpleasant. I'm a private person, and when I go on vacation, the absolute last thing I want to do is be around other people that I didn't choose.

    I want to make my own breakfast from the ample choosings at a Marriott, at 9 am. I do not want to be social. I do want to have to thank anybody on my way out. I don't want to be disturbed unless there's a flood, fire, or swarm of angry bees, and I want the maid to be someone I have never seen because otherwise I'm going to feel like I need to put the towels in the washer myself or something.

    When my daughter was born, she was a preemie, and my mom and I stayed at a Casa Esperanza house. If you're unfamiliar, it's a huge house with lots of bedrooms and a kitchen that is just like the ones in high school home ec. Everyone is assigned to a kitchen area, and you share the dishes/fridge/stove/microwave with three other families. There's a common area where you can eat or watch TV. I think that's what ruined me for the idea of B&Bs - far too much like Casa Esperanza which, while invaluable for extended stays due to sick kids, was still too much lack of privacy for me.

    Eek! Sorry for the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Id be cool with the mini horse but not too excited about the 8 am breakfast ugh

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I always respond, promise! Just make sure you're not a no-reply blogger :-)