Thursday, March 13, 2014

Bummed

So once there was this couple. They had searched high and low for a house to buy. In fact, they had looked at around 35 houses, and had 2 offers to buy houses rejected. So when they found a seemingly absolutely amazing house, they were happy. They were psyched. They were ecstatic. They read over the seller disclosure, thrilled that the house seemed perfect, and they put in an offer on the awesome house. They got their offer accepted (after the seller was kind of a jerk and still held an open house with 3 offers outstanding), celebrated, scheduled the inspection, and daydreamed about where their furniture would go and what color they'd paint the walls. Life was great.

Then one day the girl's mom went to a hair appointment. The stylist was so happy when the girl's mom told her that the girl was buying a house. "Wait!" the stylist asks, "the owner of this salon's mother used to live in that house a few years back." That owner told them all about how her mother loved the house, but also that the drainage ditch crater next door is part of the property, has an easement by the township on it, and it is the owner's to maintain. The girl was devastated. This huge, extremely steep, half-acre sized crater in the ground that the couple was not told about was actually part of the property they were buying. They had even asked the seller at the open house where the property ended, and he did NOT tell them it was part of their property. He did not disclose it on the seller's disclosure form that he was required by law to disclose it on.

Basically, all of the storm drains in the whole development drain into this HUMONGOUS ravine, right next to the couple's new house. All of the rain water, trash and cigarette butts (that shouldn't be thrown in the drains but people SUCK and do it anyway) drain right into the crater on the side of the couple's new property. Not only that, but the couple would be responsible for mowing and cleaning it. It just did not seem fair. Why should the couple have to pay property taxes for that huge piece of land, but also be responsible for cleaning up other people's crap, plus paying for maintenance of it (because there is no way in hell a hill that steep could be mowed by push mower or tractor)? That's right, they shouldn't.

The couple's agent called the seller, and he finally admitted that it was part of the property and that he should have disclosed it. He said he'd release the couple from the contract, and after lots of tears, heartache, conversations with parents, and one last visit to the property, the couple knew in their hearts the right thing to do: let their perfect house with the not-so-perfect property go, and move on to trying to find something else.

If you read this far, I'm sure you've figured out that the "couple" is Brian and me, and we are the ones that are not just bummed, like the title of this post, but actually devastated. Devastated that our first shot at home ownership is tainted this way, devastated that people are SO dishonest, devastated that we have to pick up and get back out there again because we have to find a house before our lease is up, and devastated that the life we pictured in that house is no more. I know things could be much worse, and at least we are fortunate enough to be able to buy a house (and that fate, or God, intervened and got us out of that contract.. I mean really, talk about divine intervention), but I am still so very sad. I know eventually we will find a house we love, but it doesn't make me feel better, not right now. I am sick as a dog, physically (I have a cold.. hopefully not another sinus infection) and emotionally (my stomach hurts). I got so attached to that house. I need a break. I am going to take a few days offline to emotionally regroup. Guys, my heart hurts.
post signature

18 comments:

  1. Wah I'm so sorry! :( :( I am so sorry to hear this. I was so excited for you guys, but hopefully this just means it wasn't quite right and there's something better waiting for you. Keep your chin up and maybe drown your sorrows in ice cream :) You're in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Jess, I am so sorry! My heart breaks for you because I know how hard you two have looked and how much you like that house. I can't believe people act in such a meaningful neglect to hurt other people. That makes me so angry for you.

    But, you're right, it was divine intervention that lead to the discovery. I hope that there is something even better out there waiting for y'all. You'll be in my thoughts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Jess! I cannot imagine your heartache, but I cannot imagine the REAL heartache and financial crisis you would of been in had you not known this!

    I know it is too early for this, but I see this news as a blessing in disguise. (Maybe not, I could be wrong!) I feel for you pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry this happened! I was frustrated just reading about it... so I cannot imagine how you are feeling. House hunting is one of the most stressful things ever! You will find the perfect house... and it will be a much better experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no I am so sorry. I can't believe the seller didn't disclose that information! Fingers crossed that your dream home will be found soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just awful I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that suck balls but let me tell you something: THIS IS THE BEST DECISION YOU COULD HAVE MADE. drainage issues or potential drainage issues is a disaster waiting to happen because drainage is something that is extremely hard to control and could possibly damage your house. besides, the upkeep of all of that on your own and out of your pocket is wack. i'm glad you found this out now instead of being stuck with it AFTER you closed because that would be even more devastating!!

    -kathy | Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no. :( I wish I could give you a hug right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww I want to squeeze you and totally talk crap about the seller with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww... I'm so sorry, babe. :( I hate this. It's a blessing in disguise that your mom found that out though, that's for sure! *BIG hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jess, I'm so sorry that you guys have to go through this. Try to have a fun weekend (with lots of chocolate involved). I know it won't fix anything, but it can't hurt :) Hope you feel better and that finding your perfect house is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh girl! I am so sorry! I can't even imagine. That seller is a POS if you ask me... The sad thing is, he probably won't disclose to the next buyer either and they may not be as lucky as you in finding out the truth.

    I don't know what I would have done if our house had been ripped out from under us... there was a time or too where we thought it could possibly happen after the contract was signed, and all I remember is this deep feeling of, "But I love this place!" and "Please don't make me start this whole house hunting thing all over again!!!" What is even worse is that I bet you guys had to just eat all the inspection fees and things huh? I would send him a letter asking for a refund of those costs due to his lying!

    Take some time... feel better physically and try to get your head back in the game! Know that I'm sending you every positive thought I can! Hang in there!

    -Kate
    www.theflorkens.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know it's hard to believe but this was for the best. You would hate that upkeep and expense and eyesore for your entire time in the house. Better to know now than before it was too late! And that is insane how it worked out. Something bigger is totally looking out for you which means that something more amazing is in the works. I hope the seller never finds a buyer and it stuck cleaning the drainage ditch all my himself with his bare hands forever :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man!! People suck so bad! Hope you guys land something even greater super soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry :( that is awful that he didn't tell you guys from the start!!! I can't believe that. I'm so glad you found out though before it may have been too late, or more of a hassle to try and get out of. You guys will find something :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw Jess I'm so so so sorry. Thinking of you and Brian. I'm so glad you found thia out prior to purchasing the home and I know you will find your perfect house. I'm sorry the process is so stressul! I hope you have a relaxing weekend not having to think about that big jerk and his dishonesty :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. ugh how awful! what a major disappointment. i hope you find an even more perfect house to call your own soon!

    xo. jenn @ hello, rigby!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, girly :( I'm so so so sorry. I've heard nothing but horrible stories of home searches lately, and I'm hoping to see just ONE couple find the perfect place in the first try...without any shadiness. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I always respond, promise! Just make sure you're not a no-reply blogger :-)