Wednesday, September 11, 2013

God Bless the USA

"We will never forget." This quote resonates with me, and I'm sure with every other American, because no, I certainly will not and cannot forget. 



I will not forget how innocent and naive us 8th graders were up until September 11, 2001. We had never heard the words terrorism, al qaeda (I refuse to capitalize that), taliban, and suicide bombers. That day changed the lives of so many Americans, even the ones who weren't born yet. I remember being sent home from school early, completely not understanding what was going on. I understood that airplanes had crashed, but thought it was just a horrible accident. I was blissfully unaware of the realities of this world up until that day. Now children, like my little brother and sister, grow up knowing what terrorism is and being fearful of it. In addition to all the brave lives that were lost that day, we lost the innocence of the world's children. Our world has changed so much, and is very scary with everything going on right now, so I'm going to leave you with this song I have loved as long as I can remember (in middle school, my friend and I actually loved it so much that we recorded our own version and put it on a CD-- thankfully that CD has since been destroyed). God Bless the USA.


God Bless The USA by Lee Greenwood on Grooveshark

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Jared and I just watched the World Trade Center movie (with Nicholas Cage) last week and whew... if that doesn't take you right back to the moment of how we all felt that very day, I don't know what would. God Bless all the people involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes forget how young most of blogland is, I was actually long out of college and was working 3rd shift so I was sleeping that morning. My sister called me at 1 PM to tell me what happened and I thought she was just kidding until I turned on the TV. I sat there the rest of the day watching and crying, it was so horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is one of those horrible moments in your life when you know you will remember exactly what you were doing, where you were, what was said, what you thought. And crazy, it was really before social media began!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I always respond, promise! Just make sure you're not a no-reply blogger :-)