Friday, July 18, 2014

Fragile and Fleeting

So I had a different post planned for today, about how I can't wait for my surgery to be over, how I probably won't blog next week because of it, and I was going to share some pictures I took practicing with my new camera. But then last night I got a phone call from my dad; my second cousin, a police officer in New Jersey, was killed in the line of duty yesterday. He was operating radar when a tractor-trailer veered off the road and rear-ended his police car.

I saw this story earlier in the day yesterday, a few Facebook friends had shared it. I didn't realize who it was when I read the story, but I did what I always do when I hear of or read an article about a person who has passed away, whether I know them or not; I said a prayer, asking God to take him to Heaven and to help his family get through this hard time. I cried when my dad told me what happened, because although I only maybe met him once as a child, a Marine Corp veteran, a 5 year police veteran, someone's son, is gone, just like that. I can't even imagine the pain those close to him are feeling. The Malaysia Airlines disaster is also so heart-wrenching, and I hope all of those people are at peace as well. It's just not fair.

Life is fragile and fleeting, and I know I take mine for granted. I cry about things that don't really matter, and wish my weekdays away. There are changes I need to make in my life, and it's time I start. Rest in Peace, Chris, and all those who died yesterday in the awful plane crash.  "Until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand."
post signature

10 comments:

  1. Wow you're so right I wish my days away and freak out over things that really aren't important :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending thoughts and prayers to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your cousin, that is very sad. I wish my weekdays away most of the time too and I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry. I am definitely guilty of wishing my days away and not actually doing the things I think are important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your family's loss. You are all in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. As tragic as these events are you're right to focus on the positives of how you can make changes to live life to the fullest. Which I know you'll do after your surgery! Praying for you girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww so sorry to hear about your cousin, big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear that. And yes the Malaysian flight disaster really affected me also. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. My thoughts are with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm obviously late for this one but my heart still goes out to you and your cousin's family.
    we're all guilty of taking life for granted and it's awful that too often it takes tragedy to realize it or acknowledge it...
    <3

    LittleBirdBlogs

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I always respond, promise! Just make sure you're not a no-reply blogger :-)